So you finally got some magic mushrooms, but if you have done your homework, you know that these tiny fungi are not toys. Psychedelic mushrooms are ancient tools for transformation and connection and, in the modern era, are becoming substitutes for cannabis, alcohol, or other drugs.
Mushrooms hold a lot of potential, but getting your dose right is key to accessing benefits. Is now the moment to play heroic psychonaut exploring consciousness? Or perhaps experiment with optimizing creativity on a museum dose? We are here to guide you through proper dosing etiquette to find what fits this moment in your life.
Shroom Dosage Guide: Five Factors Affecting Potency
There are a few factors to consider when getting mushrooms dosages right. Some researchers have been moving away from dosing people according to bodyweight, with elements like set and setting - the pillar of designing psychedelic experience taking the lead.
- Set - is your mindset going into a trip. For example, having realistic expectations, openness to experience, and your mental health will influence your journey.
- Setting - in the environment you trip in. For example, tripping alone in your room might be introspective, camping with friends could be connection to others and nature.
- Consumption Method - mushroom tea and “lemon tek” are popular because the taste of dried mushrooms can be rough, and these methods can work faster and may feel stronger.
- Empty stomach or with food - Some claim to feel effects in ten minutes on an empty stomach. After a meal, mushrooms can take over 2 hours to take effect and may feel less powerful. When waiting for mushrooms to work, be patient! You can take more later, but not less. Waiting 24 hours before dosing again is the safest, but if your window for a trip is limited, wait at least 3-4 hours.
- Your Body - Everyone’s metabolism, digestion, nervous system, and countless other biological factors not yet established react uniquely to mushrooms. The onset, intensity, and length can vary between people.
How Many Mushrooms to Take - Dosage and Effects
Consider the list below as potential landmarks you could encounter on a journey, but not a guarantee. For example, visuals are listed in most sections, but hallucinations are not part of every mushroom journey.
Microdose: .1g - .35g
Microdosing can be for exploring improved focus, creativity, or relief from depression and anxiety. Microdoses are so small that psychedelic effects won’t be felt. Instead, the sub-hallucinogenic dose works over time, sometimes taking several weeks to realize benefits. Reported effects are:
- Improved mood
- Strange or pleasant body sensations
- Easy social connection and emotional awareness
- Greater focus and flow
- Creative ideas
- Mild anxiety or temporary confusion
Low or Mini-Dose: .35g - .5g
Helpful to experience the threshold of a shroom trip, although this is a microdose for some. If you are new to psychedelics, trying out new strains, or are sensitive, this is a helpful "getting to know psychedelics" zone.
- Light euphoria
- Slight “body buzz” - warm, tingling, or odd sensations
- Vivid emotions, connection to others
- Increased creativity or sense of meaning
- Light hallucinations - brighter colors
- Mild anxiety or confusion
Museum Dose: .5g - 1g
The term Museum Dose was coined by prolific chemist Alexander Shulgin. This range is ideal for feeling the effects of mushrooms while functioning in the world. A popular choice for concerts, walks in nature, socializing, biking, or art galleries.
- Mild euphoria or anxiety
- Slight “body buzz” or mild discomfort
- Increased connection to own emotions, other people, or nature
- Introspection, creative flow states
- Mild hallucinations - colors “popping,” profound music
- Slight confusion or repetitive thoughts
Moderate Dose: 1.25g - 2.5g
For a first-timer, this is our recommended dose. This can be light and fun or get pretty deep. Proper set and setting are essential from this range and upwards. An ability to interact with people and your surroundings will likely be maintained here. However, surrendering to challenging insights or confusion at the higher end becomes necessary.
- Euphoria or anxiety
- Body buzz, odd sensations, changes in heart rate or body temperature
- Deeper connection to friends, community, environment, spirituality
- Introspection, a new sense of meaning, creative inspiration
- Amplified emotions or releases like laughter or crying
- Visuals - breathing walls, geometric patterns, closed eye visuals
- Confusion, looping thoughts
- Altered sense of time, impaired motor skills, or speech
Macrodose: 3g - 5g
Above three grams will be a powerful psychedelic experience for most people. Without an experienced sitter, this should be left to experienced trippers and should be in a safe space with people you trust. Be prepared to disconnect from “normal” reality in this territory.
- Intense euphoria, anxiety, fear, emotional release
- Strange or pleasant body sensations, sweating, increased heart rate
- Mystical experiences, sense of “oneness”
- Deep introspection and existential questioning
- Significant emotional revelations or release
- Higher chance of visuals, ability to “journey” with closed eyes
- Time, everyday objects, or your environment can be confusing, thought loops
- Partial or complete loss of motor control or speech
High Dose / Heroic Dose: 5+g
The legendary psychonaut Terence McKenna coined the heroic dose. This is a high dose. This shouldn't be attempted without significant psychedelic experience and a willingness to work with whatever the mushrooms show you. Breath is a good anchor and could be the only thing that makes sense for a while.
- States of bliss, terror, or paranoia
- Powerful “body load,” extreme somatic awareness, changes in body temperature, heart rate, breathing patterns
- Ego dissolution and mystical experience
- Overwhelming emotional content
- Visuals overpowering reality
- Time may be exposed as an illusion
- Partial or complete loss of motor control or speech
Mushroom Trip Timeline and Stages
Psilocybin mushrooms experiences will typically last from four to eight hours, depending on the consumption method and your body. Unless you’re doing superhero doses, you will likely feel pretty normal after ten hours.
- Come up - The time between consuming your mushrooms and feeling them is typically between 30 minutes to an hour. Signs of the onset are brighter colors, awareness of your feelings, surroundings, odd bodily sensations, or nausea. The sensations will often come in waves leading to the peak.
- Peak - After 60-90 minutes, you’ll begin peaking. This typically reaches its height at the 2-3 hour mark. Sometimes the peak seems to sneak up. The peak is also the most overwhelming section, which can be enlightening or challenging. Deep breaths and surrender will get you through.
- Comedown - For the final 3-4 hours, waves of psychedelic effects continue but get progressively weaker. Coming down can be a nice time for sharing, reflecting, creating, or going on an adventure. This is also a popular time for cannabis which some claim amplifies remaining effects.
- Afterglow - After a trip, a fuzzy feeling of openness, wonder, and clarity can persist, sometimes for days. An afterglow is the time to integrate lessons or ideas into your life. Taking action on new agreements can cement fresh learnings. Integration can be complex, as shrooms may bring up repressed emotions and memories. Reaching out to integration circles, experienced friends, coaches, or therapists can support challenging experiences.
What are the Risks of Magic Mushrooms?
Magic mushrooms are not a toxic substance, with no known cases of a psilocybin overdose. However, there are concerns about cardiac issues, and the effects of long-term use, like microdosing every day, are unknown. Mushrooms can trigger psychotic episodes for bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or other mental health conditions.
A significant danger of psilocybin is taking too large of a dose in a situation where you are not safe or comfortable. Always start low and go slow with mushrooms, be aware of your mindset, and prepare a safe environment.
Drug interactions are complex, and psychedelic research is still in its early stages. While magic mushrooms have been used for thousands of years, mixing them with pharmaceuticals or other substances is new.
Mixing shrooms with antidepressants, particularly SSRIs or MAOIs, are not advised. SSRIs can dampen or mitigate the effects of psychedelics, while MAOIs may cause serotonin syndrome, a dangerous condition. This chart can be helpful for interactions, although talking to a wellness professional is our advice.
A dizzying array of combinations of recreational substances exists. Cannabis is popular but be forwarned - cannabis can take a trip for a spin. Another combo is “hippie-flipping,” combining mushrooms and MDMA, which can take the weird edge off a mushroom trip.
Shroom Dose Calculator -
You can use our Magic Mushroom Calculator to workout your Psilocybe Cubensis Mushrooms or Truffle dosage.
We created this (free) tool after seeing the enormous amount of queries on our site like...
- mushroom dosage body weight
- magic mushroom dose body weight
The following questions are factored into the calculation:
- Step 1: How much do you weigh?
- Step 2: Fresh mushrooms or dry mushrooms?
- Step 3: What is the desired dose?
Takeaways For Dosing Mushrooms
- Mushroom dosage is an individual choice. What works for your friend might not work for you. Finding your optimal dose range can take experimentation. Just remember to start low and go slow.
- Choose the right dose for your set and setting. Your mindset and environment are connected to your dose. Are you going to a party? Your job? Are you happy? Going through a difficult time? Inquiry into questions like these can help you decide on your next dose.
- Psychedelic mushrooms have risks associated with them. Finding the correct dose is one of the most important aspects of having a meaningful and safe experience. Do your research, trust your gut, and speak to a good friend, psychedelic community, or wellness professional about any concerns you might have.