What is a psilocybin retreat?
Psilocybin retreats are safe spaces where people with the intention to grow or heal meet to take psilocybin with the help of guides.
It’s basically set and setting on demand under the guidance of veteran tripsitters.
Why do people go to psilocybin retreats? Why not just trip by yourself?
There are multiple reasons to go on a retreat:
It’s often safer than taking magic mushrooms alone. Thanks to the help of seasoned guides, some with a mental health background.
The group dynamic helps reinforce your intention. There is something powerful about doing something with people with similar goals.
Being in an environment designed for transformative experience helps too. Add to that the expert help of facilitators, and you get the recipe for transformation.
If you are adamant about doing it by yourself, we understand. Maybe it’s the right move for you.
Just be mindful of doing things as safely as possible.
Psilocybin retreats vs psilocybin therapy
Not all facilitators in a retreat have a medical background unlike in psychedelic-assisted therapy, where you work with two trained therapists.
That doesn’t mean they are not well prepared to assist you with your journey.
Facilitators have experience using psychedelics and guiding psychonauts through their psychedelic journey. Also, some retreats have one or more guides with a mental health background.
Preparation and psychedelic integration periods are shorter for retreats. Psilocybin retreats often have a preparation and integration period, usually just a few days or weeks. Psychedelic-assisted therapy tends to have longer preparation and longer psychedelic integration periods. Usually months.
The personalized attention of therapy vs the power of group activities. Psychedelic therapy is all about you, allowing for an individualized approach that caters to who you are.
With psychedelic retreats, guides have to interact with multiple people. Attention is not going to be as focused. Still, there is something powerful about sharing an experience with a group of people.
Just ask people who practice yoga with others despite knowing how to practice by themselves.
Psilocybin retreats vs Ayahuasca retreats
- Ayahuasca is taken in the form of brew. Magic mushrooms can be eaten directly or drank as magic mushroom tea. It’s also possible to consume psilocybin through magic honey.
- Ayahuasca has the reputation of offering a much more intense experience, yet this is dose-dependent. Both can be very intense, depending on how much you take.
- The subjective experience can be similar in some ways but different in others. This is hard to describe, considering how difficult it is to put these experiences into words and how much variety there is from trip to trip and from individual to individual.
- Ayahuasca experiences last between 4 to 7 hours, while magic mushroom experiences often last between 3 to 6 hours.
- Many report that Ayahuasca is more likely to cause vomiting. Also known as purging. You can get nausea with psilocybin but this is often greatly reduced when taken in magic mushroom tea form.
- Both can have therapeutic benefits.
- You can’t overdose on either.
How to find the best psilocybin retreats for you
Choosing the place for your transformation is one of the most important decisions… but there are so many options!
How do you choose which psilocybin retreat is best for you? Here are some things to consider:
- Group size: The bigger the group, the cheaper it’s likely to be. The smaller the group, the more personalized attention you get. Smaller groups could also result in a more intimate experience and bonding.
- Location: Is the retreat in the jungle.
- Duration: Is the retreat just a few days or multiple weeks? Longer retreats tend to provide more time for preparation and psychedelic integration afterward.
- Comfort: A well-rested body and mind do better on a trip. A trip could be challenging by itself; no need to add more discomfort.
- Expertise: It’s essential to have competent and experienced facilitators. Your mental health deserves it.
- Reputation: It’s crucial that you do your own research. Check out what people and reputable sources are saying.
- Values, vibe, and energy: Listen to your intuition when choosing a retreat. We recommend avoiding psilocybin retreats that don’t give you a good vibe, even if everything else is perfect.
Now, let's see some of the best options.
Beckley retreats (Jamaica or Netherlands)
Your journey begins a month before you arrive at the retreat. They help you prepare through virtual group sessions.
Groups are between 10 to 16 attendees, and at least a 1:4 guide to attendee ratio. More often than not, the ratio is 1:3. Among the facilitators, there is always at least one psychotherapist or medical doctor.
The retreat is five days long with two psilocybin sessions, yoga, meditation, and more.
After the retreat, there are six weekly group sessions. During these sessions, you will go through different practices for integrating the experience.
Buena Vida Psilocybin Retreat (Mexico)
If you are a fan of nature, you are going to enjoy the mountain and sea views; you will love this retreat.
You can choose between 3 programs depending on your budget and intention.
The grounded program includes the basic:
- 2-3 Psilocybin ceremonies
- Chef-prepared meals
- 7-days prep course
- 4 to 5 guides for up to 16 attendees
The healing program has the same features but adds:
- 2 weeks of psychedelic integration
- A luxury Ocean view villa
- A day trip
- Healing massage
Finally, the Expansion program offers the same things as the healing program, but the group size is smaller. It also includes:
- One-on-one counseling and integration
- 2 weeks of one on one preparation and integration
Behold Retreats (Netherlands)
On this retreat, you will find a diverse team with all kinds of expertise, including:
- Plant medicine ceremony experts
- Coaches, therapists, doctors,
- Spiritual teachers
This combo ensures a good mix of the modern scientific approach and spiritual tradition, perfect for those who want the safety grounding of science and good spiritual vibes.
Their program is just as diverse and offers:
- Integrative breathwork
- Art integration
- Sound healing
- Trauma healing
- Family constellations
All of these synergize with a psilocybin session. Your body and mind will be prepared.
Awaken the Medicine Within - Women Psilocybin Medicine Retreat (Portugal or Netherlands)
If you are a woman looking for a women-only psychedelic space, this might be the perfect retreat for you. Not only all attendees and facilitators are women, but the retreat also offers a wide assortment of features such as:
- 4 Nights and 5 Days of shared Accommodation
- 2 Psilocybin Ceremonies
- Belief Work
- Sacred Plant Baths
- Group Breathwork
- Somatic Dynamic Practices
- Personal and Group Integration Coaching
- Multiple Virtual Preparation and psychedelic Integration Group Sessions
- Delicious organic vegetarian meals optimized to ceremony guidelines
- Dietary support, guidance, and instruction before, during, and after the ceremonies.
- …and much more
You can see the testimonials from women who have attended the psychedelic retreat here.
Atman Retreat (Jamaica)
A 4-day experience. Short and sweet. Packed with group yoga, meditation, and breathwork practice.
If the price is too high for your income, you can apply for their low-income tickets. This team wants to be accessible and help more people. This is how this team shows they care.
These are just summaries that describe what high-quality psilocybin retreats look like. This is just a starting point. We recommend visiting the websites, checking testimonials, photos and features with close attention so you can come up with your conclusion.
Analyze but also listen to your intuition. We hope you find the retreat you are looking for.